Assessment Practices

Assessment and evaluation Access to quality development in educational... |  Download Scientific Diagram
Photo by: Research Gate on Google Images

Throughout my teaching experiences thus far, I have tried to use various assessment practices in order to assess students in ways that are suitable to their needs.  For example, some students prefer drawing over writing or may not be able to write. If I include drawing and writing as an assessment practice, I am taking my student’s abilities and learning styles into consideration.  By accommodating to my student’s preferred learning styles, I am helping students be successful in their learning because they can show their knowledge in the way that makes sense to them.  

The first assessment strategy I have used is a type of formative assessment which is informal and quick.  During a lesson, I ask students to use their thumbs to show me how they feel about the lesson and content.  Thumbs up means I understand, thumbs sideways means I have some understanding but need more explanation, and thumbs down means I need more explanation.  This assessment strategy is used to inform the teacher if more explanation of the lesson is needed or if students understand the lesson.  It is quick and students do not have to speak.  

The second assessment strategy is also a type of formative assessment and is known as student sharing at the end of the lesson.  Students do not have to share their work but they have the opportunity to share with their classmates and teacher(s) if they want to.  I believe it is important to have students share their work as it builds their confidence in public sharing.  Students should be proud of their work and feel comfortable sharing in the classroom; however, teachers need to provide opportunities for sharing by asking students, “Who wants to share their work?”  

Another assessment strategy I have used in the classroom is having students correct their own work as a class.  Once the students finish their work, as a class we correct the assignment.  I have the students use a pencil to correct their work and write the right answer if something is incorrect.  I ask students, “What is the answer to this question?”  The students raise their hands to answer the questions.  I will confirm the right answers.  I think this assessment is beneficial to students because they can review the content, if an answer is wrong they correct it themselves, and students have responsibility of their own learning.  

It is also important to include summative assessment practices into lessons. I commonly use summative assessment in the middle and end of the unit to increase my understanding of student understanding of curricular content. Some examples of summative assessments I have used is student self-assessments in physical education, research papers on a chosen topic, drama and dance presentations in groups, visual art painting projects of a specific landscape, and musical performances with instruments.